Thursday, December 07, 2006

Gift Idea - Headlamp


A few years ago I went on a couple's camping trip and, since I was employed at REI at the time, brought along a bunch of great gear. We camped among the redwoods and experienced early twilight thanks to the sheltering giants around us.

Dinnertime rolled around and it was time for me to fire up the stove. To keep my hands free for food prep I wore a headlamp. It's like putting on a pair of old jeans to me but generated laughter from my fellow car campers. But not for long. By the time the pasta water was boiling folks were lining up to borrow my headlamp as they searched dark tents for odds and ends.

And everyone wanted one when they made the long walk to the darkened restrooms.

Headlamps aren't just for campers. Great for the home improvement type, late night book lover, or anyone who has tried to hold a flashlight in their mouth during a blackout. Especially good for new parents staggering around while they warm a bottle without waking up the rest of the house.

The Petzl Tikka Plus is my current favorite. I've owned this one for three years and its great battery life, adjustable brightness and comfortable fit make it perfect. Its little sibling, the Tikka, is another great choice.

No comments: